Lunch Plans at Carlin Springs Elementary (Updated for Winter Weather)
APS is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our staff and students throughout the entire school day. This includes during lunch, when students will not be able to wear masks while actively eating or drinking. We have developed a plan to protect student health and safety during meals, in accordance with CDC and VDH guidelines for schools.
Lunchtime Health and Safety Procedures
Every school will consistently implement the following health and safety measures during lunch:
- Masks are required in the cafeteria or other designated dining space when students are not actively eating or drinking.
- Masks must be worn, regardless of vaccination status, during arrival to the lunch area, as well as in the serving line and when finished eating or when departing or traveling within the dining space.
- Cafeteria or other dining spaces and frequently touched surfaces will be regularly and thoroughly cleaned by custodial staff between mealtimes.
- Students will be required to wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after eating. Time will be provided for hand washing and sanitizer will be readily available for student use.
- Mealtime will be monitored to ensure adherence to the safety measures in place and to enforce distancing to the extent possible.
Carlin Springs Elementary Dining Protocols
At Carlin Springs, we are committed to providing both indoor and outdoor spaces for students to eat lunch, and to distance as much as possible while eating. APS has worked with the County to obtain additional structures such as tables, benches and umbrellas to support year-round outdoor lunch, weather permitting. Carlin Springs is pleased to have upgraded our outdoor dining area with new (tables with benches, umbrellas, etc.) to make sure our students are as comfortable outside as possible.
The following outlines our dining protocols.
- PARTIAL OUTSIDE LUNCH PLAN: Our school will make use of multiple spaces – indoors and outdoors – and implement student rotations to maximize distancing and ensure student health and safety.