Carlin Springs is Arlington’s model “community school.” Our school facility is used as a base to support students and their families by addressing not only academic needs, but also social, emotional, and health needs through linkages to community partners. By addressing the needs of the “whole child,” we enhance student success in school and in the larger community. Most of the opportunities associated with the community school model occur before and after school, and in the evenings. Examples of opportunities include:
- Engaging after-school enrichment activities designed to reinforce and enhance what is learned during the school day.
- Parenting workshops, monthly Coffee with the Principal events, weekly parent volunteer activities.
- Academic Parent Teacher Teams, called “Teamwork”
- Family library nights, curriculum nights, and author visits
- Weekly developmental playgroups for toddlers and their parents or caregivers
- Computer and language classes for parents, with enrichment activities for children while parents are in class
- A student-run savings branch of the Arlington VA Federal Credit Union
- Monthly Family Markets (hosted by the Capital Area Food Bank)
- Arlington Department of Human Services (DHS) provides resources for families who need access to mental health, health and dental services.
- Our full time Public Health Nurse manages medical, dental, hearing, vision, and other referrals, assists with health insurance, provides health education and coordinates other health related programs.
Questions about the Community School? Please contact our Community School Coordinator.
Carol Sabatino: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-8409